Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Late Reaction, Stupid People and Snow "Events"

I figured its about time I weigh in with my 6.5 pesos on Sunday. I was at the game for the second week in a row, and for the second week in a row, I was personally kicked in the nuts by 53 professional football players and their coaches. How you surrender 500+ yards in a game is beyond me. How you continue to dominate the turnover ratio, which is supposedly the best indicator of how a team will do (they won 4 to 1 on Sunday, and according to Jaws, the team that wins the turnover battle wins 77% of the time), and still lose is beyond me. How you replace a decent punter, with a shitty one, probably lose a game because of it, and then replace him again with a punter that had a semi-great game, and still lose is beyond me. How you commit only 5 penalties, yet somehow wait until the most crucial situations to commit them is beyond me. How all of this can happen, and you get fucked by the officials on top of it is beyond me. There are greater powers at work here or something. As shitty as the defense is at stopping people when it needs to, it is spectacular at forcing turnovers, which should really make up for it. But somehow, with a holding penalty here, and a dropped pass there, we fuck it up. I just don't get it. We clearly aren't that good, and I guess we should start looking forward to the draft. Where I will again get really, really drunk.

Took a new direction at the game this week. My former status quo had been: park in a residential area with easy in and out, South of the stadium, head down to the bars on Holmgren Way, get a brat and bloody at the Bay City Smokehouse tent, stare at Paul Hornung and William Henderson as they sign autographs at Stadium View, watch some drunken asshole fall off the mechanical bull, drink a beer or two, walk around a bit, go into the game, get a beer, sit down, watch game.

This week I got free tickets to the game (which is alot cheaper than the $93 I paid for the Lions game when the Packers were still good) and went with my father in-law. He wanted to meet up with a friend of his at Buffalo Wild Wings (hereinafter BW2, there aren't three fucking W's). His buddy claimed that the lot at BW2 was easy to get in and out of. It was $10 to park, but my father-in-law paid it because the tickets were free. The pre-game experience at BW2 was really enjoyable actually, we got there in time to get a table near the bar, the waitstaff stopped by frequently enough, the beer was alot cheaper than other places near by, the food was quick, cheap-ish and tasty, there were random hot beer girls there, it was crowded enough to make the atmosphere somewhat exciting but not too crowded, and most of all it was warm. I would definitely go back. Except I would never park there again because it took us an hour to get out of the parking lot, but that is another story. The only down side was lack of grill smell, but you can get that on the walk to the stadium. But seriously, especially in cold weather situations, this will probably be in my repertoire.

At the game itself, the temp at game time was 13, with a 5 degree wind chill. But it wasn't real windy so it wasn't too bad. The face got a little cold, but otherwise I was fine. There was a layer of ice on all of the bleachers, but we had a blanket so that was OK.

RANDOM STUPID ASSHOLE ALERT: So we had "negative couple" behind us at the game. You know the ones. The people who bitch and moan non-stop at the game. This particular couple hated Aaron Rodgers for some reason, even though he is a top 5 QB in the NFC. With every incomplete pass there was: "Six more years of this." or "Oh, yeah, he is worth $65 million". On his second TD, as the ball was released, the guy screamed "What are you doing?" I wanted to punch him in the face. And his wife was the worst one. Even when he would get sacked (like the time where two guys came in untouched in about .3 seconds) they would bitch about it. I don't really understand you people. And as Samuel L. Jackson once stated, "Yes they deserved to die! And I hope they burn in hell!"

It has snowed like a mother for the past two days here. And the media panic started the day before. They called it a "Snow Event", which I guess must be worse than a snowstorm (but maybe not as bad as a blizzard?) Forecast called for 8 to 14 inches, and thousands of casualties. I got up this morning to find a solid 7 inches in my driveway, with a three foot drift on one side, and snow still falling. Which sucks when your snowblower breaks. I had time to shovel the half behind our car before work. In the car on the way to work, I was warned to stay off the roads at all costs, and if you do drive there is like a 92% chance that you will die. In actuality, the roads were not that bad at all. I'm not really sure where I was going with this, other than to say that I hate when the media scares everyone up about snow, but what I hate worse is shoveling. But even worse than that is when your team inexplicably aborts itself in front of you two weeks in a row. Also it is supposed to be 40 this Sunday. Fuck. Me.

No comments: