Sunday, December 14, 2008

GREEN Bay, the Yanks and OJSFA


I checked out UW v. UWGB on the Big10 network last night. Pretty entertaining game, and a much more impressive win for UW that you probably think. Anyway, there were two important things that stuck out about the game for me. First, it still bothers me that UWGB insists on being referred to as "Green Bay" instead of "Wisconsin-Green Bay". Who do they think they are? Fucking Memphis State? But what was more bothersome was that the announcer was obviously not from the Midwest, and kept saying GREEN Bay by putting the emphasis on GREEN, when the emphasis should be on BAY. GREEEEEEN Bay instead of Green BAYY It drove me fucking crazy.


I hate the New York Yankees. I always have and always will. They exist on the same list as the Cubs in baseball, the Cowboys, Bears, Vikings and Lions in football, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan St., and Kentucky in college basketball and Michigan and Ohio St. in college football. Teams that when they lose, it brings me great joy. The shit is just getting ridiculous. They have already spent so much on payroll this year (and there are rumors they are after Texiera and Man-Ram too...) that they are dwarfing a number of other teams entire payrolls. And that is JUST on CC and Burnett. That doesn't even take the contracts of Jeter and A-Rod into consideration. Both of them make well over $20mil a year too. While this is the biggest splurge they have had in awhile, keep in mind how well it has gone for them in the past (Carl Pavano). The baseball world will likely be righted again with the Yankees in the playoffs for me to root against, and the Brewers out. But how great would it be to see the Yanks struggle and fail? Pretty fucking great. We are two bad years away from the Yankees requesting their own bailout package.


OJSFA playoffs on tap today. I am taking on Richard. There is a tremendous amount of pressure on the game because $100 are on the line. Winner is guaranteed that much, loser has to win next week to get $50. Richard beat me like red-headed step child last week. But I think I generally like my player's matchups a little better this week. I still have the lingering Marion Barber problem. I have no clue if he is going to start, and he plays Sunday night meaning if I take the chance to start him and find out he's not, I am stuck with Tashard Choice. It could be worse, but I would rather not be put in that position. The Giants D is pretty tough too, so neither is a great matchup. In that alternative, I could start Steve Breaston (who only scores when I don't play him) or Leon Washington (reach play). Santonio Holmes and Jerricho Cotchery are also on my roster, but are dead to me. I don't know what the fuck to do. Finally, I have made the decision to start Phil Rivers (v. KC) over Tony Romo (v. NYG) this week. Rivers has been tremendously inconsistent this year, but has had really, really big games this year. Romo has struggled a bit lately, and I don't really like what is happening in Dallas this year. This is probably a really dumb move on my part, since it has been Romo that has gotten me here. But fuck it. Go me.


Packers 31, Jags 30. (really I have no confidence that the Pack has any chance in this one). Greg Jennings has 0 catches, Ryan Grant runs for -8 yds and has no catches, Mojo Drew has 128 yds rushing, 11 catches for 67 yds and 4 TDs.

No comments: