Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thundersnow, FNL and the Queens

Thought I should throw up a post about a few things I've heard/thought/saw in the past few days between my 12 hours shifts as a desk jockey.

- I drove through the worst snowstorm in my entire life on Thursday. I grew up in Wisconsin, lived here all my life except for the three years that I lived in Omaha and made routine drives across Iowa in the middle of blizzards. I went to college in La Crosse, and drove across Wisconsin to my parent's house near Green Bay in the middle of blizzards. So I've driven in the snow A LOT. But this storm was unreal on Thursday. It was so fast and so intense that you could not see the road you were driving on at all. It was just white nothingness in the country, and you just had to aim where you thought the road was and hoped you made it. There were drifts more than two feet high, and had I not decided to take my wife's truck, I would have never made it. Oh, and there was fucking THUNDER AND LIGHTNING. It was insane.

- Friday Night Lights is getting more and more ridiculous. J.D. McCoy's dad is going to murder his son because he cares for him so much. He is like Todd Marinovich's dad. That lesbian in Landry's band is smoking hot. Street cannot just decide to take his high school diploma, his wheel chair, and his high school success as a QB (except for the whole getting crippled thing) and just decide to become a sports agent. It is a lot harder than that dude. It is sort of the equivalent of deciding you are going to be an accomplished author because you write on a shitty blog that three people read. You need to have connections, and probably a college degree. I don't know why that pissed me off.

-I heard our friend Doug Gottlieb on ESPN Radio the other night (and I say "friend" because he once called Brian Butch a pile of shit, and he is no longer welcomed in the state of Wisconsin) talking about the Viqueens trade for Sage Rosenfels and how it now makes them a Super Bowl contender. Really? How is Sage fucking Rosenfels any better than the dudes they already have? How many Pro Bowls or Super Bowls has Sage fucking Rosenfels been to? How many playoff caliber teams has he started for? I'll save you the research and let you know the following: 7 years in the NFL, 2 teams (Miami, Houston), 32 games played, 7 starts, 4-3 record, 30 TD, 29 INT, started one year in college where he threw 8 TD passes and 12 INTs. So I guess I should backtrack, apologize, and admit that the Vikings are now clearly the prohibitive favorites in the NFL. Start planning the parade.

1 comment:

Bear said...

I, for one, welcome our new Viking overlords