Monday, February 2, 2009

How Good Was It?

That was a goddamn fantastic Super Bowl. The twists, the turns, the comebacks, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the blown calls, Matt Lienart, Brenda Warner, this game had it all. I'm a little disappointed at the outcome, because I'm getting pretty sick of the Steelers historically. But its mostly just sour grapes that the Packers haven't been able to stay championship good. It got me thinking: How good was this Super Bowl? So I took the time to rank the Super Bowls that I can recall at all. (Super Bowl XX in 1986 is the first one I have any recollection of.)



24: XXXII: Terrell Davis 31, Green Bay 24. Unequivocally the worst Super Bowl I've ever seen. Seriously though, fucking Elway did nothing but run too slow to not get helicoptered into the end zone. This replay and Elway's teeth haunt my dreams.



23:XXIV: San Francisco 55, Denver 10. Never close, although it could be ranked higher because Elway's teeth were prominently involved.



22:XX: Chicago 46, NE 10



21:XXIX: SF 49, SD 26. Stan freaking Humphries started a Super Bowl!



20:XXVII: Dal 52, Buf 17. Only because of the Leon Lett play.



19:XXII: Was 42, Den 10. That second quarter was unreal.



18:XXXV: Bal 34, NYG 7. Only because I was drunk.



17:XXXIII: Den 34, Atl 19. Mile High Salute v. Dirty Bird.



16:XXXVII: TB 48, Oak 21. Only because I was really, really drunk.



15:XXI: NYG 39, Den 20.



14:XL: Pit 21, Sea 10. Seattle fans are STILL bitching about this game. Jerome Bettis is still from Detroit.



13:XLI: Ind 29, Chi 17. Only because Chicago lost.



12:XXX: Dal 27, Pit 17. Neil O'Donnell started a Super Bowl!



11:XXVIII: Dal 30, Buf 13.



10:XXVI: Was 37, Buf 24. Buffalo lost a shitload of Super Bowls.



9:XXXIX: NE 24, Phi 21. McNabb has a tummy ache.



8:XXXIV: STL 23, Ten 16. One. More. Yard.



7:XXXVIII: NE 32, Car 29. Nipple Gate!



6:XXIII: SF 20, Cin 16. I was heartbroken after this one. I was a huge fan of the Icky Shuffle.



5:XXV: NYG 20, Buf 19. The basis for Ray Finkle.



4:XXXVI: NE 20, STL 17. HUGE upset at the time. Last second field goal.



3:XLIII: Pit 27, Ari 23. Only because Arizona didn't score at the end.



2:XLII: NYG 17, NE 14. Probably the biggest upset I've ever seen. Pats fans were all over themselves about being the best team ever. The Patriots DOMINATED all year. The Tyree catch.



1:XXXI: GB 35, NE 21. C'mon. Did you think it would be anything else? I would probably sleep with Desmond Howard if he offered.

1 comment:

The Sports Bottle said...

Don't forget the original Bud Bowl aired during the SF/Cincy Super Bowl.