Sunday, February 1, 2009

Feeling Minnesota?

Well I'm back from my brief sojourn as a geometry teacher and I'm looking to for something to do, i.e. cure boredom. So I guess, I'm back writing for this blog.* It's been a very enjoyable not having to come up with inane sports talk for the past 6 months(?), but I'm ready to meet Juice's quota of one post every day or so. Here's post number one.

* Since when did we have 5 writers. I thought I had some sort of editorial control. These guys were hired without my consent, with absolutely no notification. I smell a coup.

The Minnesota Gophers men's basketball team is off to a good, yet somewhat surprising start to the season. They are 18 -3 (6-3 in the Big Ten). This, of course, has led to speculation about Tubby Smith leaving for greener pastures. Jobs in Arizona and in his home state of Maryland may be tempting for Coach Smith, but it would be extremely disappointing to see him leave. Particularly after he rescued us from the Dan Monson era.

To lessen my worries, I turned to the Internet to see if there was any truth to these rumors. Of course what I found was mere speculation (I can speculate. People shouldn't be paid to do this and pass it off as news.). Myron P. Metcalf recently penned this article for the Star Tribune. Metcalf outlines the fact that Minnesota doesn't have the practice facilities that Maryland or Arizona has, plus they cannot match the salary that Tubby would get by returning to big time college basketball. Here's an excerpt:

Face it, Gophers fans. Smith is the prettiest girl at school and the prom is just a few months away. You're her insecure boyfriend.

That's comforting.

I then turned to reliable journalist Doug Gottlieb at espn.com and he had this to say:

Tubby Smith does not like the cold (no one does), but Alabama is not where he would go. He is from Maryland originally; Arizona would also make sense.

Tubby doesn't like the cold? How does Doug Gottlieb know this. Furthermore, didn't Tubby know that it was cold in Minnesota when he took the job. That is one of the four things that Minnesota is famous for. The others are being nice, mosquitos, and the Fargo accent. I just can't believe that Tubby hates the cold enough to make that the deciding factor in whether he stay or goes. So I had to do some research. Here's what I found.



It seems to me that Tubby loves the cold and Doug Gottlieb has once again been proven wrong. Tubby's not going anywhere and all is right with the world again. Go Gophers!!!

No comments: