Monday, February 9, 2009

Another Annoying Apology

I'm gonna continue to beat this dead horse.

The apology strategy is the easiest way to beat any sort of negative publicity. I really don't understand why every single person doesn't know this, especially those in the national spotlight. Alex Rodriguez did the "right" thing, according to many people. Why is it the "right" thing? Why are we a society that needs this?

I've been thinking about this a lot. I'm trying to look at it from a sociological point of view. Let's say I'm Joe Blow from Bumfuck, USA. I'm a baseball fan and have been my entire life. I loved the home run chase in '98 and I was mesmerized by Bonds chasing McGwire's record. Then I felt personally cheated by the emerging steroid issue jump started by Canseco's book. And now I hear A-Rod was doping as well, and I'm pissed. Are there any true athletes left? But I see A-Rod talking to Peter Gammons and he seems likes he's sincerely apologizing and now I feel a little bad for him and I obviously forgive him.

That's how this is viewed by many people and I simply don't understand it. Every single person who took steroids did it knowing they were cheating. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Why are people so willing to forgive simply because a nationally televised apology was given? It's a matter of these people are not sorry, they are sorry they got caught. Feeling regret is the more appropriate way to look at it. Of course they regret it and I'm sure they would go back and not do it if they had the choice. Or maybe they wouldn't because I'm sure a bunch of the guys made millions more because of the juicing. Fuck every single one of them and stay the fuck off my tv with your horseshit apologies. And to everyone else, stop falling for said horseshit apologies.

The most horseshit part of A-Rod's "apology" is the fact he says he has proven to himself since he doped that he could be great without it. Um, I'm no steriod expert, but does the strength you gain from steroids go away once you stop taking it? If I can lift 200lbs and then I start doping and I get to 300lbs much quicker than normal and then stop taking steroids, do I then get weaker? Or can I continue to get stronger, but at the normal rate? Does anyone have any insight into this?

Other thoughts -
Scott Skiles might be a really good coach. The Bucks have no right to win another game this year. Redd is out. Bogut is out. Ridnour is out (not that he's great, but he's not bad). But they're hanging in there fairly well.

NC vs Duke on Wednesday!!! In Durham. I'm not sure who I'd take with my life on the line. I know the Heels could blow them out and I don't think Duke could do the same. I'm gonna go with the Heels by 1 on a Hansbrough half court hook shot at the buzzer.

I am not a Badger basketball fan. In fact, I hate Badger basketball. So I don't have a personal viewpoint on this issue, but I would be in borderline heart attack condition watching every one of their games. For crying out loud. The games are all close. The games are boring as hell. How can you watch? They should go far in the NIT.

A 56 year old woman swam the Atlantic Ocean. NO..... FUCKING......WAY.....

2 comments:

The Sports Bottle said...

Bear, why won't the space between my paragraphs show up anymore? When I first starting posting, the spaces were in there. Then they stopped and I had to go into the HTML editor and do it manually. Then is started doing it normally again and now its back to not doing it.

Bear said...

Hmm, worked fine for me, not sure what's up with it