Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Elder of T Squared strikes again

Mr Hardicourt has this little gem in response to NathanH's comments in his monday blog posting about a Brian Roberts trade rumor that was about as fresh and original as the content on this blog.

"Another example of a non-story concocted by a hack baseball writer trying to manufacture off-day fodder.

In the first place, the rumor is ridiculous on its face. The Orioles know they can get a lot more than Weeks for Roberts. The Brewers aren't about to pay that much money for a marginal upgrade, nor are they about to give up on a guy they took with the No. 1 draft pick only five years ago. The only way a trade like this is even remotely possible is if Weeks' current knee injury turns out to be long-term in nature, and even then the Orioles would demand far more than just Weeks for Roberts. And I wouldn't make the trade in any event, because I still think Weeks will turn out to be better than Roberts ever has been.

Just once, I'd like to see reporters like Haudricourt report the news instead of trying to create it. Just once, I'd like to see baseball writers stop using each other - or the infamous "BadgerBlog" that had Yost out the door a few weeks ago - as their own best sources. Just once, I'd like to see a score in a game story before the sixth or seventh graph. Just once, I'd like to read about how somebody "threw" a ball rather than how somebody "through" it. Just once, I'd like to see these guys get through a story without a perjorative adjective, like "unconscionable" regarding Suppan's walks yesterday. And just once, I'd like to be taught in a story something I didn't already know about baseball and the Brewers.

Yost is obviously quite defensive in his dealings with Haudricourt and his little helper, and I don't blame him in the least. In fact, if I werer Yost, I wouldn't talk to him at all because it's obvious that the overriding story Haudricourt is trying to create is a Yost firing.

This is a knowledgeable baseball town, and it deserves far better than it's getting from these people and this paper. Too bad baseball writers can't be traded as players can, although I doubt we could get much more than a waiver-wire writer than Haudricourt."


Granted this is a bit long winded and quite derailed from the original topic of Hardicourt's post, but all in all I'd say a lot of points are spot on. He has some back and forth with other commenters, basically calling Hardicourt a hack throughout. Finally ole Tommy the Gun jumps into the fray and he actually keeps his composure for the first part of his response.

"To NathanH,
One of the reasons for having a blog is to respond to other blogs about the Brewers, especially if they're from a mainstream web site such as Fox Sports. This is a blog, not a front-page story in the JS. And, as far as my bosses go, they're the ones who encourage me to respond to other blogs and either refute the items or lend credence to them. And they continually tell me I'm doing this blog exactly the way it's supposed to be done. So, you know nothing about my job and what it entails, especially when it comes to blogging. As other posters have suggested, stay off the Brewers Blog if it enfuriates you so much. That way, no one has to bother reading your inane, know-nothing responses. What you know about me, my job and blogging, I could put in a thimble and still have plenty of room for my thumb."


Poor Tom almost made it this time, but he just couldn't resist getting that last, zomg I'm a sports writer for JSOnline and I'm way better than you jab in at the end. You might also notice that he mis-spelled infuriate, nice.

No comments: