Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jagz, Pacman, Nolan and Hells Bells

I would be remiss if I didn't discuss a few ridiculous stories that are peculating today.

1) Jeff Jagodzinski getting shit canned at B.C. I'm going to go ahead and ask why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. A few things are obviously true: 1) Jagz knew that he would be fired if he interviewed with the Jets, 2) He did it anyway, 3) He was fired. Everything else is sort of irrelevant. I have heard that he had a clause in his contract stating this very fact. Whether he did or not, this is how the real world works, even though D-I college athletics is about as far from the real world as there is. If I went to interview for another job and my boss found out, I would expect to be a)fired or b) have my boss make my life so miserable that I would quit. I don't fault Jagz for trying to get a better job. Its America. I'm quite certain about 90% of people with jobs are looking for new ones. But to freak out on the employer for firing them is stupid. Admittedly the situation is not really a normal one with a college coach given the regular turnover, but if BC wanted a coach to stay in it for the long haul, they had every right to let him go.

2) Pacman got cut. Good for the Cowboys. What killed me about the story is that I was watching SportsCenter last night when the story broke, and ESPN essentially took credit for being the straw that broke the camel's back. This "new information" regarding the hit that he allegedly ordered in 2007 that was somehow unknown to anyone previously, was going to be reported by ESPN on "Outside the Lines" on Sunday. According to SportsCenter, Jerry Jones first heard of it when ESPN called to ask for a comment and "coincidentally" they cut Pacman like an hour later. Funny how ESPN is willing to take credit for shit like this, that probably didn't have any effect on Jones's decision (I mean really? One tie to an attempted murder was OK, but TWO? Two is where the Cowboys draw the line.), yet when they totally fuck up they refuse to take any blame (No examples to cite).

3) I fully support the hiring of Mike Nolan for D-coordinator. By all accounts he is a spectacular coordinator. Plus he is a snazzy dresser. It isn't official yet, so I'm guessing the rumors/positive reaction is going to be enough to convince Thompson not to hire him. Plus it seems way to high profile for the Pack. But if he gets it, I think he can figure out what the team is really capable of doing, and he won't cram a 3-4 down our throats with a bunch of guys that can't play it. Maybe we could run a 2-1-8?

4)Just got word that the Brewers signed 137 year old Trevor Hoffman and his 48 mph change up. That is a BIG signing. He is the most reliable closer we have had since Coco, and probably Dan Pleasac before that. Now if he could only start 30+ games too, we would be set to go. He has the best entrance music since Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn.

7 comments:

gotwinkies said...

All I have to say to #4 is, didn't you guys sign Eric Gagne last year?

And this is a good idea why? Simply because Hoffman hasn't been caught using steroids yet doesn't make him NOT old and washed up.

Juicelaw said...

30 saves, 3.77 ERA, 1.09 WHIP make him not washed up....

That doesn't mean he isn't clearly on the downside, but he is clearly better than me (who was option #2 at closer), and clearly better than Gagne before last year. AND we paid Gagne $4mil MORE.

Fucking enjoy Joe Nathan until he is pictching for the Yankess next year you prick. Thanks for shitting all over my parade.

gotwinkies said...

If you watched Nathan towards the last 1/4 of the season, you will know that in 2 years he is more likely to be washed up, overrated and thus overpaid by the Brew Crew than he is likely to sign with the damn Yankees.

YEah, Hoff has good stats. And yes, he is clearly better than Gagne. However, I don't think he has much left in the tank. I'll be the guy saying "I told you so" when he blows 4 out of his first 6 saves.

For the record, I like Joe Nathan. But, nObody is better at scaring the hell out of me before getting the save. Plus, he looks like he is going to shit his pants and hyperventilates during each appearance.

Seymour said...

I think you put Hells bells as the tag referring to Hoff's "entrance music" but isn't it Enter Sandman?

Seymour said...

Also, did you realize that PJ Hill declared for the draft? I am kind of excited to give the keys to John Clay, who I think is better than Hill, since he lost weight after his Freshman year he has been good, but not spectacular...

Juicelaw said...

It is definitely Hells Bells.

More on P.J. Hill at a later date.

Bear said...

I was also ecstatic that PJ Hill realized that he was only getting worse and worse as his college career progressed so he had to declare now

Also the Hoff will be fine, he won't be some elite level closer anymore but everyone that's talking about him blowing the first 5 saves is talking non sense. Now I've never trusted a change up closer, especially one that doesn't have a fastball anymore. But I gotta trust in the Hoff, such is the blind optimism of *insert sport*'s offseason