Friday, January 30, 2009

Color Blind

I'm going to start out by saying two things. 1) This could potentially be a bad idea to write about. 2) I don't think this makes me racist, and I'm going to go ahead and assume that more than 50% of the 4 people that read this blog have thought these two exact things.

Last night, I was watching the #19 St. Mary's-#13 Gonzaga game (until I fell asleep at halftime). I swear that I've seen St. Mary's play at least 3 times in the past two years, and was pretty sure I knew what Australian sophomore PG Patty Mills looked like. I guess I hadn't paid that much attention, because last night I realized that he wasn't white. I guess I must have just assumed he was white for various reasons. 1) He's Aussie, 2) His name is Patty Mills, 3) He plays for St. Mary's, 4) He is a three point gunner, 5) I guess I've never seen a picture of him. Either way, I was surprised to find this out. This is like the reverse of Bill Simmons's "Reggie Cleveland All-Stars".

If you hadn't seen the game between #2 Duke and #13 Wake Forest on Wednesday night, and I told you that a guy that hailed from Cheyenne, Wyoming hit the game winning shot, your brain would've almost automatically assumed the same thing I thought about Patty Mills. Instead of the name/school/position/nationality assuming skin color, it was his home town. This isn't to single out Wyoming in particular. It could've been Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont or Green Bay, Wisconsin and I would've guessed the same thing.

I'm not sure of my point other than it is interesting what one's brain imagines a person looks like based on stereotypes.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Does anyone REALLY fucking believe that fucking Italian citizens can't tell the fucking difference between Pizza Hut Lasagna and real Italian Lasagna? Fucking fuck. I absolutely refuse to ever think about eating that shit based on principal. I guess real Italian pasta is served out of a fucking tin foil pan. I GUESS I can buy that some dipshit New Yorker's could concievably believe it, although definitely not people that have been to a fancy Italian restaurant. Someone that lives in Green Bay could think that, because alot of people here feel that Olive Garden is the standard against which all Italian food should be judged. I'm going to go out on a limb though, and say that Pizza Hut falls somewhere between Chef Boyardee and Olive Garden. I just don't get it. The claims are ludicrous. Now they are claiming people can't tell the difference between their greasy ass delivery pizza and gourmet Italian pizza, which is miles beyond stupid. The commercials that Pizza Hut is throwing onto the American public are somewhere in the range of diet pill commercials in terms of believability. I bet Italians would be even more pissed that Pizza Hut gathered a bunch of people to pretend they couldn't tell the difference between fake pasta and real shit. I don't know why this pisses me off so much.

5 comments:

gotwinkies said...

The Pizza Hut commercials are not as frustrating to me as Whopper Virgin commercials. We are supposed believe that an Indian, dressed fully in Native garb and barely able to speak white man language (EnglisH), with tribal music playing in the background, has never tried a whopper. Really? In reality, we know that her station wagon pulls through the drive through at least once a week.

Juicelaw said...

Just out of curiosity, why would you think a guy like that had tried a whopper?

I just don't beleive he would like it. Not that they aren't the most delicious sandwich ever made. I just think when you are used to eating nothing but rice and ingesting 200 calories a day, the whopper would probably fuck with your world a bit.

gotwinkies said...

Rice? Are you kidding me? Don't they shoot buffaloes and eat all their meat? Granted, deer and buffalo are leaner than a Whopper, but I still think they load up the station wagon, leave the res, and get whoppers for the whole family once a week. The whole not speaking English thing was a ploy to sell them as "Whopper-Virgins". Also, Rice? It's more like, if the only thing you have in your stomach all day is a 1/2 fifth of cheap whiskey, it might mess with your world a bit. Granted, your reservation might be a little more peaceful than the one around here. Yes, I'm probably being a little stereotypical with this comment.

Bear said...

When did they do the Native American whopper virgin? Can you even do that anymore? What person living in North America wouldn't have access to the 174,437 Burger kings that exist?

Also yes I was just bitching about the Pizza Hut thing earlier this week. They probably aren't even speaking real Italian, it's probably Portuguese.

Juicelaw said...

Twinkie just took an arrow to the face.

I think they are Indians from India dude.

At least I no longer have to be worried about the post offending anyone.