Thursday, August 7, 2008

B-r-e-t-t-s, Bretts, Bretts, Bretts!

If Favre had to be traded (and clearly he did), I think he ended up in one of the best possible places for the Packers and their fan's sanity.  He seriously might as well be playing on Mars.  They won't play the Jets until 2014.  And its not that I fear playing against Brett because he might beat the Packers or because the Jets are better (because they aren't).  It is just the week long circus that would surround it, and the effect on my mental stability.  I'm glad to able to move on, as bizarre and hurtful as it will be to see him playing for the Jets (hopefully stumbling around drooling, and throwing underhand passes to the other team as a shadow of his former self), it needed to happen.  Not completely sure the Pack got enough (although it will almost surely be at least a 3rd round pick), but they likely had to make a concession to get that ridiculous Viking trade provision in there (3 FIRST ROUNDERS!!, Minnesota here he comes!).  No chance they get a 1st, because the Jets quite frankly aren't very good.  A 2nd is possible but I really don't see how they get ahead of the Pats, Colts, Steelers, Browns, Chargers, Jags, Titans, Texans (maybe) in the AFC.  I think the Jets are around an 8-8 team with Favre, with an outside shot at a wild card.  The Packers are probably 9-7 or 10-6 with Rodgers (assuming he stays healthy).  He is also going to have to get used to everyone in NY being assholes, and not being treated with kid gloves like he was in GB.  He is just another in a long line of superstars in NY, and he will be playing third fiddle at best (although I'm sure Wendy Nix just rented a room in NYC for the season) in his own town, as the Yankees and Giants are much more popular.  He is going to wish he sucked it up and stayed in GB.  I hope he does well, I hope he's happy, I hope he doesn't win a Super Bowl or an MVP.  He will always be a Packer, and I hope when he actually does retire in 2054, he can reconcile with the organization.
 
Now hopefully I can get some fucking sleep.
 
I am WAY more excited for Packer season now.

No comments: