Monday, July 28, 2008

Death Match: Brewer v. Packer


I've been wondering for a few weeks now what would happen today when Packer training camp opens and the Brewers open their biggest series of the year so far against the baby bears. Well, I can tell you from listening to local radio that it was a beating of epic proportions. If you had just landed from an alien planet, you would have no idea that a baseball team even plays in Wisconsin, much less is in the middle of a pennant race, with a legitimate shot at the playoffs for the first time in 26 years. The only time the Crew even got mentioned was when the hosts forced it in. If there had been completely free reign on phone calls, there would have been no mention of the series that starts tonight. And I'm not even talking about the Favre thing. Of course it was discussed because there is a federal law that mandates that if you have any idea what a football looks like, and you host a show, you must discuss Brett Favre for at least 25% of all on-air time. But most of the talk was about other things, Ryan Grant's holdout was a big one. It is incredible to me that overnight, the Brewers were vaporized by grown men discussing other grown men practicing a game in 90 degree heat.
I guess I just wanted to point out how far the Brewers have to go to garner even remotely close to the obsession that Wisconsin fans have for the Packers. Myself included probably. If the Packers played at the same time as the Brewers I wouldn't think twice about what I would be watching.

No comments: