Thursday, April 23, 2009

Semi-Daily Brew Crew Hangover #9

If someone had told me in February that 14 games into the season, Braden Looper would be our unquestioned best starting pitcher, I would have guessed our record would be 2-12. While we aren't far from that, I still don't think it is a great sign going forward. But Looper has been pretty impressive. He throws a strike on the first pitch almost every single time, which seems to be key to getting guys out because major league hitters rarely swing at the first pitch.

Mr. Coffey got another save, and while he didn't look great doing it, I still think he would be a serviceable closer if and when Hoffman dies of old age. Villa actually looked really good last night too. Is it just the pressure of closing or starting that he can't handle? Because his stuff was disgusting last night.

How do you go from giving up 11 runs one night, to nearly shutting a team out the next? And Philly didn't even threaten much until the ninth. If we can somehow coax a win out of "Bushie" today, it would be a huge, huge step in the right direction.

Afternoon games while I have nothing to do at work are great. I will be staring at my computer screen with the "Penske File" open on my desk and a pen in my hand between 12 and 3 today.

AS AN ASIDE:

Thompson got outbid by Syracuse for Paulus when he refused to give up a pair of free shoes and a helmet.

2 comments:

Bear said...

I was gonna say the same fucking thing, if at this point in the season Looper is the best pitcher we have, we'd be fucked. Parra and Gallardo will come around though, I'm more than confident in that

The Sports Bottle said...

I was golfing during the early Brewer game and didn't get your text message til around 5pm. You got me really excited. I new either a no-no or a perfect game was in the works. I got home and saw what Bushie did. Impressive stuff. I think our staff has potential, but Suppan has no potential.