Tuesday, April 14, 2009

SDBCH #6

I'm gonna move in step with Juice and join this Brewer semi-daily rant. Having caught most of the action thus far in this new season I have a couple Brewer thoughts.

  • I can't bitch about this enough - Jeff Suppan is the most ridiculous #1 starter ever. At best, he was a decent pitcher awhile ago. And he had a great postseason when the Cardinals won the World Series. But he's older now. How the fuck did Macha choose him for opening day over Yo? I really haven't formed an opinion about Macha yet (early inclinations are mildly positive) but that was fucking stupid.
  • Three straight games with clutch bottom of the 9th at bats. Two strikeouts and a ground out. What irritates me is our guys absolutely cannot hit a pitch that's thrown down the middle. For fuck's sake, Marmol hung two beautiful off speed pitches to Braun on Saturday night. I mean, those two pitches were laid on a silver platter and he didn't even make contact. Has he hit one solid ball yet this year?
  • It was nice to see Kendall remove the big goose egg from his batting stats. But, seriously, he's getting old too. He provides no pop at the plate whatsoever.
  • My opinion has not changed about Rickie Weeks. It will take a full mildly decent season for my opinion to change.
  • I'm almost certain that all the Brewers predictions I've read are wrong. All of them I've seen have the Brewers finishing over .500. I would guess about 76 wins.
  • Although I was quick to pick up Villanueva as a closer, he is not a closer. We need Grandpa Hoffman as soon as possible.
  • Corey Hart appears he may have a great first half of the season. Where have I seen that before?
  • The Brewers have the feeling of a makeshift team to me. The pitching staff definitely feels that way.
  • That Reed Johnson catch was amazing. I heard it but didn't get to see it til much later. Uecker did not describe how great it was.
  • Fuck Reed Johnson by the way.

1 comment:

Bear said...

I'll bite

Suppan is terrible, agreed, but the reason he was made the number one was two reasons. Our studs are very young, one or two years floating around the bigs is not proven, so Macha wanted to spare them going against other teams number ones to start the season, let them get into the flow of the season, then face the tough outings. The other reason is Suppan is the most experienced, so it was probably just a default nod. I would be more upset about Suppan sucking in general than about him being stuck in the 1 spot for a month or two.

More often than not the closer is going to prevail is close games, it's a matter of stats. I wouldn't get too worked up yet about losing a couple close ones when we are losing in the 9th.

As far as I'm concerned Kendall can hit .240 for the year this year and next(when we bring him back because Salome won't be ready yet) He's very experienced and works a good game for the pitchers, which is something our young staff needs, moreso than 20 or 30 batting avg points we MIGHT get from a different catcher, remember this position is notorious for bad batters

Weeks, breakout year, 3rd year in a row I said it, haha. Seriously though, same thing as before, too early to judge him, give it a month or two.

Not gonna touch a prediction yet, if we keep averaging 7 free base runners a game we'll be lucky to win 40

Charlie V probably shouldn't be a closer in the majors, ever, but who are you gonna put there instead while Hoffman is on the DL? My vote would be the ginger, but he has proven before he can break down at any time as well as Chuck.

Hopefully Hart faltered because of fatigue last year, he's still pretty young, hopefully

As stated above, we can't walk/hit 7 guys a game, that will come down, people will settle in

I was about to scream and talk shit the whole time the ball was in the air, but it just hung and hung and hung and then the fucker caught it... Oh well, good catch regardless