Sunday, May 11, 2008

Seriously.

A couple of things from yesterday's Brewer abortion.

- They will never be as good as the Cardinals until Yost is gone. La Russa can make the tough decisions like telling his closer of 5 years to have a seat when he isn't performing. Yost can't do that for whatever reason. Also, I don't know what the fuck happened in the 8th inning with Hall. It seems that Kendall missed the sign. Hindsight is 20/20, and if that worked, we would all be talking about what a great move it was. Still, things like this tend to happen way too often with this team, and not just with Kendall.

- Officially, Gagne sucks. Here is what he had to say yesterday, with a typical response from our faithful leader:

"I don't deserve that ninth inning right now. It's pretty simple," Gagne
said.


The beleaguered reliever was slumped in his locker room chair with his
eyes closed for several minutes before putting his hands on his head. After a
clubhouse official asked if he wanted to talk, he told reporters he doesn't need
a "mental break" like Cardinals counterpart
Jason Isringhausen asked for on Friday night.


"I don't need breaks. I need to keep going out there. I need results," said Gagne, who has a major league-leading five blown saves along with Isringhausen. "I get myself in a situation, in a jam, every single time I'm out there. You can't pitch like
that."


"I am never nervous in that situation. I love that situation. I have been
blessed with that opportunity a lot since I've been here and have been fortunate
to come through in a lot of the situations I've been in," Ludwick said. "I feel
like that's what baseball is all about -- that situation, being in that moment."

Gagne said his struggles have been embarrassing for him.
"Every time we get a little momentum, I come out there and kill that rally," Gagne said. "It's a matter of going out there and executing your pitches -- not thinking results -- and I'm thinking results. I'm going out there thinking three outs before I
can even get one."


"Closing is an emotional job," Gagne said. "It's a roller coaster. You do
good, you're a hero. You do bad, you're a zero."


Brewers manager Ned Yost refused to pull Gagne from the closer's role immediately after the game.
"I don't sit here and make decisions five minutes after a tough loss. I'll sit and
think," Yost said. "You guys have known me long enough, I take a long time to
analyze things and give everybody the benefit of the doubt and try to make the
right decision."



- The only bright side yesterday was Braun getting 3 hits, including two doubles. Of course he couldn't get a hit with the bases loaded.

Those cocksuckers got me back into it after the big win Friday, looked good (although they still didn't actually drive in any runs) coming back. Only to have Gagne choke on it. They are so frustrating. Oh, and I called it yesterday, didn't I?

No comments: