Friday, May 9, 2008

Don't Mess with Big Sexy

In the Rangers-Mariners game last night there was an epic beanball war. It ended when the Rangers pitcher fired a fastball at face level with Richie "Big Sexy" Sexson. Richie Sexson is 6' 10". Honestly, the ball was probably over the plate and not anywhere near hitting him in the head, but that didn't matter to "Big Sexy". He was going to kick him some pitcher ass (or something). The highest of high comedy was the helmet throw. Not as good as a jump kick, but pretty good. I would say he handled himself pretty well in the fight. Either way, it was a complete overreaction on his part. The mound being charged is a great tradition in baseball, along with chewing tobacco, crotch adjusting, and the Brewers loading the bases with one out with their 4 and 5 hitters coming up and not scoring any runs.


I guess the bottom line is this: I am exceedingly glad in hindsight that the Brewers sold him to Arizona for $7 on the dollar (at the time), and then that he signed an ungodly contract to hit 30 HR's, hit .214 and strike out 150 times a year with someone besides the Crew. Oh and I loved how he said that him throwing the helmet was "chicken shit".

Finally, the part I liked the least was that two players on my fantasy teams started this whole mess in the first place. When King Felix hit Gerald Laird. I generally discourage (fake) teammates from fighting each other, it causes bad vibes in the (fake) locker room. I probably need to cut Laird today.

No comments: