Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wagering Against Yourself

So today is the big day. It is the day where despite economic concerns, and the fact that if I somehow get caught not working and instead watching live basketball on my computer I would not be able to get another job, I will soldier on, and watch anyway. I'm so excited that I got to work an hour early, so that I can try to sneak out early to try to watch most of tonight's games on my large television set instead of my 16" computer screen.

One fun side note though, out of the blue last night my wife decided she wanted to put a wager on the brackets. A few of you may remember two years ago, and the shiny new PS3 I earned by crushing her in the bracket. She decided she wanted to put an extra $100 of spending money above "budget" for this mythical "Vegas Trip" I and hopefully most of you are potentially planning on Labor Day weekend. (For those who don't know, I am planning to go to Vegas, hopefully not by myself, Labor Day weekend, clear your calendars, more details to come.) My wife is going on a shopping trip with her sister as a "make up call" for my trip. So winner gets to spend an "extra" $100.

The wager itself is meaningless on like a hundred different levels, but here are the highlights: 1) Obviously, neither of us actually gains any money, as we are married and everything is both of ours anyway; and 2) If either of us really felt the need to spend more than this "projected budget", we would just do it anyway (although I'm not sure that booze and strippers would qualify as a "need" in my wife's mind).

The major point of the wager is bragging rights in the household, and my assertion of the one thing that I control in our relationship, knowledge of sports. It is very arguable whether knowledge has anything to do with picking a winning bracket, as we've all heard the secretary winning a bracket based on cute players. But this gives me an opportunity to feel better about myself at least. My wife is no idiot when it comes to sports, although I bet she's watched about five college basketball games and only hears any sports news because she is in the room while SportsCenter is on. She is much more knowledgeable about baseball and NFL. Both of us are hyper-competitive, and it will bring me great joy to crush her dreams of beating me.

Without further ado, here are our final four picks, and other highlights.

HER: Louisville, Pitt...WASHINGTON....GONZAGA in the final four. Louisville/Pitt title game, Louisville winning.

ME: Louisville, Pitt, UNC (shut up Sports Bottle), Missouri final four. Louisville/Pitt title game, Louisville winning.

So we have the same champ and title game, which give me an even bigger than normal advantage, because as we all know, you can fuck up nearly every game, but pick the right champ and still win. I guess anything is possible. But Butler over UNC? That seems pretty unlikely to me. So I guess I'm a big Psycho T fan for two weeks.
Any suggestions on how I should spend that $100?

1 comment:

gotwinkies said...

you should spend it on getting a new bracket, because Memphis will make the final four!

Based upon Ms. Juice's final four, however, I would say that you have the cash wrapped up.

I have a bunch of hearings and looks like I"ll be tied up until at least 2. This sucks.