Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Things and Stuff

More rambling, incoherent thoughts and biased opinions (with bullet points!):

- I am now officially excited again for the NFL. The Pack opens on a Sunday night against the Bears, and I was notified that I am the recipient of the right to purchase Packer tickets at face value because I allegedly am paying for Lambeau Field through my taxes. Finally, a mere four weeks until I pay $5 a beer and watch the draft in an uncomfortable chair, while waiting for Theodore Thompson to turn our first round pick into three sixths and three sevenths.

- I am now going to Brewer games on consecutive weekends in May. May 2 v. Arizona and May 9 v. the Cubs. The fucking spring training schedule has to be like twice as long as the previous longest doesn't it? Maybe it is because I've been working my ass off, and actually watching spring training box scores refresh on my computer screen, but it feels like they've played like 60 fake games. Do baseball players REALLY need to play like 250 games a year? I'm just sayin'. I'm also just sayin' that on MLB '09: The Show, Manny and a healthy Ben Sheets were just sitting on the free agent list at the all star break, and I had money in my budget, so I signed them both, and sent Soup and Weeks down to AAA to make room (and both cleared waivers to get there because neither had minor league options, that is how bad they both suck).

- I really couldn't care less about women playing basketball, and this will be about the last time I post anything about it. But how am I, the sports fan, supposed to take your tournament seriously when you are having number one seeds (in this case Duke), playing fucking ROAD games in the second round against number nine seeds (Michigan St.). My assumption is that the reason is three-fold: 1) they couldn't fill a neutral site game, 2) travel expenses (although Durham to East Lansing is pretty far), 3) size of venue that you may be able to fill. Either way, it is a fucking joke. Imagine if UNC had to go on the road against LSU in the men's tournament? Stupid.

- So Donte Stallworth (allegedly, although not officially charged, so I guess rumoredly) murdered some dude with his car. What I find remarkably odd about the situation is that ESPN has gone out of its way to report that the guy who died might not have been in a cross walk and Stallworth "flashed his lights" to warn him. My thought is "What is your fucking point?" From my standpoint (and depending on the laws of whatever state he was in) if Stallworth was drunk (which has been reported) it doesn't matter if the dude he killed was chasing traffic. If he was drunk, and killed someone, he will probably go to prison. And the slant that I feel is being put on this thing, that somehow being killed was the other guy's fault because "he was flashed with headlights" is retarded. If anything, it makes it worse for Stallworth, because if true, Stallworth clearly saw the guy, and just kept trucking rather than, I dunno, stopping. Just a strange situation. I don't want to come off like I've already convicted the guy, because if he wasn't drunk, then this all probably moot, and maybe he was sober, I dunno. I'm just saying the whole thing is odd.

No comments: