Thursday, March 26, 2009

Deep Thoughts By Ted Thompson

I can think of at least one person who isn't going to like these much, but in case you haven't seen these quotes anywhere else I'm just going to let them wash over you. I encourage you to think hard about them, let them roll over your brain cells like a glass of fine wine over your taste buds. Perhaps enjoy a nice Cuban cigar.

"I am confident in our team," Thompson said Tuesday. "I think we have a fair group of players that now can play the game and play it well. I don't think we played as well as we should have last year. Notwithstanding, I think we have a good group of players who make up our team." (Ed. Note: Really? The defense didn't play that well? Obviously it was just dumb luck, or the strength coach, or the defensive scheme, and not that half the defense is made up of back ups.)

It would be logical to think he's expecting a couple of starters out of this class. But he's not even certain he needs to do that. "I don't know that's a particular goal," Thompson said. "It would be nice. It kind of depends on what's there when it's our turn to pick. We're pretty solid in our starting lineup." (Ed. Note: Yeah. It would be nice to get a starter with the ninth fucking pick. Of course, you are going to trade it for 6 7th rounders. But I'm sure you will find a no name o-lineman in round 5 that will end up starting so you can declare this draft a success.)

And my personal favorite: "Well, as I’ve said, you can’t base your draft on need, but in a perfect world maybe it scratches a particular itch and adds to some groups where you have a particular need at. But you never know."
At the same time, would he also consider drafting a receiver? "Sure," he said with a chuckle.
What about Michael Crabtree? "I can’t speak to anybody specific." (Ed. Note: Last year, after the Justin Harrell debacle, I predicted a WR with our first pick, and it came true. This year, its going to be either a) a wide receiver or b) a quarterback. Neither of whom you will have ever heard of. That is just how Ted rolls. Take the last position on the team we really need and pick it.)

He is making it ever hard to defend him. I'm trying really, really hard. But he is so hard to like. He is just downright defiant. I guess you have to respect him for sticking to his guns. But he is starting to sound more and more like former (thank (Sports Bottle's) god) President Bush.

1 comment:

Ricky said...

I love Ted Thompson. I agree that we actually should have went 19-0 last year, but dumb luck caused us to lose 10 games. By no means should we think about changing a 19-0 taam.