Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mannywood Busted!

Wow. Not too many things make my jaw drop anymore, but this did for some reason. At what point do people give up this charade that not everyone is or was doing it? I guess I'm sorry that I don't buy his bullshit excuse either: "Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now." I guess it is better than "I was on a supplement", but still kind of bullshit. I'll believe it when Manny sues the doctor and wins.

But I'm not here to get all frothy about someone being busted for what I assume is steroids (I guess I don't really know that for sure). Why not just let everyone do it, and then I don't have to be disappointed when I find out another one of the best players in my lifetime has been indicted/strongly accused/admitted/suspected of doing something illegal. (Bonds, A-Rod, Manny, Clemens, McGuire, Sosa, Piazza, Giambi, Counsell).

I don't really care that they did it, but it taints them when it happens and it is stupid. All this suspension is going to do is hurt baseball for the future. It is hard enough to get little kids into the game, but when their favorite players are getting slaughtered all over the news, they are going to stop watching all together. Baseball will survive, but how many more young kids are going to play basketball or football or (gasp) soccer instead?

The biggest questions I always have is 1) If you make $25mil, how can you even trust a doctor at this point? I would hire my own private fucking lab to make sure whatever I was taking wasn't going to get me dinged for 8 or 9 mil. and 2) When the fuck are they going to bust Pujols? No way that guy went from a 180lb, 100th round draft pick or whatever to 250 and batting .350 with 40HRs every year, because he was a "late bloomer".

2 comments:

gotwinkies said...

Counsell???

You were trying to be funny, right?

Juicelaw said...

People with certain degrees beyond undergraduate are known to have fantastic senses of humor