Monday, April 28, 2008

Theodore Thompson and the Questionable Use of Draft Picks

Ted Thompson is surely a much smarter man than me. At least in regards to football, I would assume. My experience as an NFL GM is based on years of making sketchy trades, and being able to tell if 85 is more than 82 in Madden. That is what makes the NFL Draft so interesting when Thompson is prominently involved. Lets take a look at a couple of the decisions made:

1) Trading down from 30. Not a bad move at all. Probably assumed their guy would be available at 36....

2) I guess he was, because he picked a guy I hadn't heard of in Jordy Nelson. Again, I need to defer to the professional here. I have the utmost faith in double T's ability to evaluate talent, but wow. Second year in a row that he takes a guy I've never heard of, at a position that was the deepest on our team. And the guy is white. Now, far be it from me to tell someone they can't do something because of the color of their skin. But its not as if there have been a long line of hall of fame wideouts with his tone. Here is the list since 1980: Steve Largent. That's the list.

3) Brian Brohm: I guess we need a backup. Poor poor Jerry Baab is going to have to go for that assistant manager position at Piggly Wiggly after all. I would have rather had some crusty old veteran to be honest. Unless Rodgers goes down with a very serious injury, how does this help our team exactly? We are SCREWED if Rodgers goes down. (I will be using the term WE to refer to the following teams: Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Creighton Bluejays. If you don't like it, don't read it).

4) The rest of their picks besides Matt Flynn: No problem other than another wideout I guess. The other picks all addressed a specific need.

5) Matt Flynn: Seriously. He was in a QB battle at LSU with Ryan Perrileux (sp?) his entire career. There is little to no chance of him making the roster. Why waste this pick?

Overall, I will defer to our leader. I believe he knows what he's doing. He hasn't missed on very many guys. I will have more analysis later when I find out that Jermichael Finley used to be a woman.

No comments: