Tuesday, April 29, 2008

ESPN's "Titletown" = Blasphemy



In one of the more ridiculous things ESPN has ever done, they have taken it upon themselves to take the "Titletown U.S.A." tag away from Green Bay. I'm not sure who ESPN thinks they are, but I'm fairly certain they don't have this authority. In fact, I would be willing to be that the government of the City of Green Bay, and the good folks at wikipedia might have a problem with this. (Everything on Wikipedia is true and accurate).


And consider the destruction that will be rained upon Bristol, CT when the ghost of Ray Nitschke gets ahold of Chris Berman and co. I shudder at the thought.


Now, I realize that this is just another ESPN shenanigan to get ratings or whatever ("Who's Now?") and this won't ever actually stick to whomever Red Sox and Yankees fan feel is Titletown, but I still fell like this is a shitty thing for them to do.


In closing, I took the liberty of other nicknames that the overlords at ESPN will be taking away from cities because they apparently have the power to do so.


1) "The Windy City"-Chicago: Fuck Chicago, that's why. I heard it is pretty goddamn windy in Laramie, WY.


2) "The Big Apple"- New York


3) "The City of Brotherly Love"- Philly


4) "America's Team"- Dallas Cowboys: OK, I know this isn't the same thing, but this has always struck me as being a crock of shit. At least Green Bay had something to back up Titletown, U.S.A. It is pretty presumptuous to assume that everybody in fucking America roots for you. I'm sure there is a study of this somewhere, and I am certain that someone else has a better claim. Probably even Green Bay. (I don't see any Cowboy bars in Green Bay, but I bet without doing research that there is more than one Packer bar in Dallas). Also, fuck the Cowboys.


5) "The Big Easy" - New Orleans: There are whores elsewhere.


Voting begins soon!

2 comments:

Bear said...

Just as an example as to how stupid this is, one of the featured submissions when I went to that link was detroit. DETROIT...

Juicelaw said...

They already have "Hockeytown". Wait....ESPN just took that too.